What happened in Moree Freedom Rides?

What happened in Moree Freedom Rides?

The Freedom Riders arrived in Moree on 19 February 1965. Moree was the first place the Freedom Riders had encountered a by-law that made racial discrimination against Indigenous people official. A Moree Council by-law prevented Indigenous people from entering the Moree Baths and Pool.

What did the Freedom Riders do in Walgett?

The Freedom Ride toured through Walgett, Gulargambone, Kempsey, Bowraville and Moree. Throughout the trip the students were confronted with shocking conditions and discrimination being faced by Aboriginal people, including poor health, housing, education and blatant racism and segregation.

Who was involved in the 1965 Freedom Ride?

Joining the bus In 1965, over 30 members of the newly-formed ‘Student Action for Aborigines’ group, led by Perkins, travelled by bus to rural NSW. They visited numerous towns including Wellington, Gulargambone, Moree, Walgett, Lismore, Bowraville, Dubbo and Kempsey.

What was the Freedom Ride 1965?

In 1965, a group of students from the University of Sydney drew national and international attention to the appalling living conditions of Aboriginal people and the racism that was rife in New South Wales country towns.

How did the people of Moree react to the Freedom Riders?

The Freedom Ride, as it came to be called, included visits to Walgett, Gulargambone, Kempsey, Bowraville and Moree. Students were shocked at the living conditions which Aboriginal people endured outside the towns. In the towns Aboriginal people were routinely barred from clubs, swimming pools and cafes.

Why did the Freedom Ride happen?

The Freedom Rides were first conceived in 1947 when CORE and the Fellowship of Reconciliation organized an interracial bus ride across state lines to test a Supreme Court decision that declared segregation on interstate buses unconstitutional.

What did Charles Perkins do?

Charles Perkins was a civil rights activist who dedicated his life to achieving justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

What protests occurred in Walgett?

The Freedom Riders protested outside the Walgett RSL Club on 15 February 1965 because they had been told the club was not permitting entry for Indigenous ex-servicemen.

Why did Charles Perkins became involved in the Freedom Ride?

Their objective was similar to that of the American Freedom Riders: to expose embedded and entrenched racism against Indigenous Australians, and to draw attention throughout Australia to their poor living conditions.

What happened at the Walgett RSL?

Demonstrations in Walgett were held outside the RSL which had refused membership for Aboriginal veterans, who were only allowed to enter on Anzac Day while a Walgett local used his track to ram Freedom Ride bus off the highway as the students left the town.

How old is Charles Perkins?

64 years (1936–2000)Charles Perkins / Age at death

How were the Freedom Riders attacked?

Led by Ku Klux Klan leader William Chapel, a mob of 50 men armed with pipes, chains, and bats smashed windows, slashed tires, and dented the sides of the Riders’ bus. Though warned hours earlier that a mob had gathered at the station, local police did not arrive until after the assault had begun.

What happened in the pool accident in Amarillo TX?

Sunday, the department said the incident was an “accident” and that the child was in an Amarillo hospital. Their condition is still unknown. While officials have not specified exactly what happened, they said the severity of the incident led both to the pool’s closing and ongoing investigation.

What happened at Craig Ranch north community pool in McKinney?

On June 5, 2015 at approximately 7:15 p.m., officers from the McKinney Police Department responded to a disturbance at the Craig Ranch North Community Pool. The initial call came in as a disturbance involving multiple juveniles at the location, who do not live in the area or have permission to be there, refusing to leave.

What happened at the Dalhart city pool?

A child is in the hospital after an incident at the Dalhart City Pool — leading officials to close the pool until further notice. Sunday, the department said the incident was an “accident” and that the child was in an Amarillo hospital. Their condition is still unknown.